Coconut Pancakes with Lemon Syrup and Mango Slices
This is a twist to the classic pancakes the makes for a more interesting, indulgent breakfast.
- 100g unsweetened desiccated coconut
- 100g plain flour
- 1½ tsp baking powder
- 1 egg, beaten
- 250ml coconut milk (shake the tin before measuring to distribute the solids evenly)
- 1 tbsp runny honey
- Oil, for frying
- 1 ripe mango
FOR THE LEMON SYRUP:
- 150g caster sugar
- Juice of 4 lemons, finely grated zest of 1
DirectionsIt’s important to leave the batter to relax for 15 minutes as it will thicken slightly, making for fuller, fluffier pancakes.
- To make the pancake batter, put the coconut, flour and baking powder into a mixing bowl.
- Make a well in the flour and add the egg. Stir into the flour, then add the coconut milk and honey, mixing until a smooth batter forms. Cover and leave to rest for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, make the lemon syrup. Put the sugar, 150ml water, the lime juice and zest into a small saucepan or frying pan. Bring to a gentle simmer and stir until the sugar has dissolved. Continue to simmer for 10 minutes until the liquid has reduced slightly and developed a syrupy consistency. Taste and add a little more lemon zest if necessary. Leave to cool until just warm.
- To cook the pancakes, heat a little oil in a large non-stick frying pan, swirling it around to cover the bottom. Place heaped tablespoons of batter in the pan (you will probably have to do this in batches) and cook over a medium-low heat for 2–3 minutes until golden. Turn over with a palette knife and repeat on the other side until golden and cooked through. Remove and set aside in a warm place while you cook the remaining batter.
- Peel the mango and cut the flesh into thin slices. Serve the pancakes with slices of mango and a drizzle of lime syrup on top.
Photo credit: MJ Kawira (Binti Diaries); @bintidiaries
Chef: Mwihaki Mundia