Light Fried Egg Salad
This one is for when you're wondering what to cook, and all you have is eggs and some vegetables but you're too hungry for a plain salad. Enjoy.
- Cooking oil
- 1 large onion
- 1*1 cm piece of ginger
- Multiple colours of capsicum(hoho)
- 1 egg
- a pinch of salt
- 1 chilli (optional)
- Slice your onion into ‘half moons’, and crush peeled ginger in a mortar (ukitumia kinu na mchi) with a bit of salt so that you extract as much moisture and flavour as possible.
Cut the hohos as shown, removing seeds from the top and cutting it from top to bottom. Slice each half across, so as to have dome-like slices.
- Put the onions and crushed garlic in a sufuria with a little oil; a little less oil than you’d use when perhaps cooking spinach. Let them fry on mid-high heat until they’re golden brown, and add your egg. You can crack the egg right over the cooking dish, or you could first beat it and then add. The two would turn out similarly.
- Add a pinch of salt.
- Keep tossing and stirring so that the egg mixes with the fried onions for about 3 minutes, so that the egg cooks but not yet completely.
- Reduce the heat and add the sliced vegetables and continue to stir for another 2 minutes or so.
- Cover the dish and allow to simmer for 5 or so minutes and put off the stove and leave it covered for a while before serving.
P.s: This is best had with rice, or ugali.